Catalogues can be purchased from the MMU online store.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Sir Kenneth Green Library
Manchester M15 6BH
Tel: 0161 247 6107
Fax: 0161 247 6349
Payment required with order, on goods under £20.
Most major credit/debit cards are accepted.
Cheques payable to the 'Manchester Metropolitan University'.
- Through the Looking Glass: the illustrations of John Lawrence
- A checklist of the work of John Lawrence, compiled by Professor Ian Rogerson, introduction by Professor Rogerson, and a list of the Special Collections's holdings by Jeremy Parrett. 2006, 0-901276-58-8
44p. A complete list of the work of John Lawrence, including 37 black and white illustrations from every stage of Lawrence's career. £7.00
- Artists' books
- Gaye Smith. 1993. 0901276 472.
36p. Catalogue compiled from artists' books in the Manchester Metropolitan
University Library's book Design Collection. Emphasis on twentieth
century British artists books from 1970 to 1992. £4.00
- Thomas Bewick: a catalogue of books illustrated by Thomas Bewick and his
pupils, together with a list of books on their work from the stock of the
Manchester Metropolitan University Library
- Ian Rogerson. 6th rev ed. 1993. 0 90127648 0.
28p. 100 books, fully described, showing the contributions of Thomas
and John Bewick, Luke Clennell, William Harvey, John Jackson, Ebenezer
and other Bewick connections to the development of 19th century book
illustration. Black and white illustrations in the text. £4.00
- Noel Carrington and his Puffin picture books: an exhibition catalogue
- Ian Rogerson. 1992. 09 01 27 64 21.
40p. 150 examples, including antecedents and imitations. Cover in full
colour, black and white illustrations in the text. £4.00
- The Cloister Press: a catalogue of the collection in the Manchester Metropolitan
University Library, including examples of the ephemera produced in the years
1921-1922 when Charles Hobson, Walter Lewis and Stanley Morison were active
at the Press
- Ian Rogerson. 2nd ed. 1993. 0 901276 49 9.
12p. 61 entries fully described. Cover in black and blue, based upon
a Cloister Press type specimen. £3.00
- The John Farleigh Collection: a description of the books, ephemera,
archival papers and wood blocks held in the Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ian Rogerson. 1993. 0 901276 39 1.
20p. 63 entries, fully described. Cover and illustrations in black and
- Firing thoughts: exploring the relationship between ceramics and drawing
- Edited by Stephanie Boydell. 2007. 978-1-905476-15-2.
54pp. A full-colour 54 page catalogue featuring work from 22 ceramicists.
With essays by Alex McErlain, Mary Gavagan and Lauren Humphries.
Artists represented include Anna Adams, Nancy Angus, Felicity Aylieff, Sharon Blakey, Kyra Cane, John Chambers, Claire Curneen, Stephen Dixon, Helen Felcey, Susan Halls, Ewen Henderson, Tavs Jørgensen, Walter Keeler, Rob Kesseler, Bernard Leach, Bethan Lloyd Worthington, Jim Malone, Alex McErlain, Eric James Mellon, Lucie Rie, James Tower, Robin Welch. £10.00
- Claud Lovat Fraser: a catalogue of the illustrated books, broadsides, etc,
accompanied by examples of the work of Albert Rutherston, Wyndham Payne,
Elizabeth Mackinstry and Edward A Wilson
- Ian Rogerson with an introduction by Philip Plumb. 1993. 0 901276 45 6.
36p. 118 entries fully described with examples of the work of Fraser's
disciples. Cover in full colour, black and white illustrations in the
- A gallery of greetings: a guide to the Seddon Collection of Greeting Cards
in Manchester Polytechnic Library
- Laura Seddon. 1990. 0 901276 38 3.
xxvi, 306p. Cover in full colour, illustrations in the text in colour
and black and white. £10.00 cased
- One hundred and twenty-five golden cockerels: an exhibition of books and
ephemera from the Golden Cockerel Press
- Catalogued by Ian Rogerson. 1994. 0 901276 50 2.
xii, 24p. Essay by Brain Baumfield. Illustrations in black and white. £4.00
- The book illustrations of Rigby Graham: an exhibition catalogue and guide
to the collection
- Ian Rogerson with an introduction by Alan Tucker. 2001. 0 901276 55 3.
viii, 12p. Documents the book illustrations of Rigby Graham with some
examples from the Rigby Graham Archive held at Manchester Metropolitan
which includes 90 separate proof prints and 120 separately editioned
- Paul Hogarth: a retrospective exhibition of illustrated books and archives
- Ian Rogerson and Jeremy Parrett with an introduction by Wendy Coates-Smith.
2002. 0 901276 56 1.
viii, 16p. Illustrated in colour and black and white. Documents the work
of Paul Hogarth from 1953 to 2002 with full descriptions and selections
from the Archive. £4.50
- Into the 1830's: some origins of Victorian illustrated journalism cheap
octavo magazines of the 1830's and their influence
- Brian Maidment. 1992. 0 901 276 41 3.
24p. 30 entries fully described. Illustrated in black and white. £3.00
- Robin Jacques: an artist of sustained brilliance
- Compiled by Ian Rogerson. 2008. 9781905476268
44p. A checklist of his book illustrations, with notes on the Robin Jacques archive at Manchester Metropolitan University Special Collections by Jeremy Parrett.
Includes 39 black and white illustrations from every stage of Jacques' career. £10.00
- George W Jones: master of master printers 1860-1942
- Ian Rogerson. 1993. 0 901276 46 4.
64p. Designed allusively by Rachel Davies-Cooper. 132 entries fully described
with numerous illustrations. Printed in black and red. £6.00
- Simon Lawrence and the Fleece Press 1980-1995
- A Bibliography of the Printed Book by Ian Rogerson. 1996. 0 901276 52 9.
24p. The printer's statement by Simon Lawrence. Books printed before
December 1995, fully described. Illustrated in black and white. £4.00
- The Pelican Press: an adventure in typographic design: Francis Meynell and
Stanley Morison in collaboration 1913-1921
- Ian Rogerson. 0 901276 24 3.
56p. 150 examples of books and ephemera fully described. Cover printed
in black and red, black and white illustrations in the text. £3.00
- Eric Ravilious in print: books, wood engravings, lithographs and ceramics
- Gaye Smith and Stephanie Boydell. 2003. 09 012765 7X
48p. 150 entries with annotations. Essay (introduction). Folded cover
in full colour. Eight colour plates, 23 black and white illustrations. £10.00
- Peter Reddick draughtsman - wood engraver - illustrator
- Ian Rogerson, with a bibliographic note by Peter Reddick. 1994. 0 901276
32p. 63 entries fully described. Black and white illustrations in the
- Thomas Heath Robinson: the forgotten brother
- An exhibition of book and magazine illustrations by Tom Robinson by Ian
Rogerson. 1995. 0 901276 53 7.
56p. An exhibition of book and magazine illustrations, by Tom Robinson,
elder brother of William Heath Robinson and Charles Robinson. 171 entries
described. Cover in full colour, black and white illustration in the
- Albert Rutherston
- Ian Rogerson. 2nd ed. 1993. 0 901276 44 8.
28p. A Catalogue of the illustrated books, periodicals, pamphlets, Christmas
cards, pantomimes, diaries and almanacks, pattern papers, ornaments
and autographed letters in the collection of the Manchester Metropolitan
Library together with an introduction. 69 entries, fully described.
Cover in full colour, black and white illustrations in the text. £4.00
- To brighten things up: the Schmoller Collection of Decorated Papers
- Tanya Schmoller, with a foreword by Mirjam Foot. 2008.
Hardback 978-1-905476-27-5 £60.00
Paperback 978-1-905476-28-2 £30.00 Sold Out and Out of Print
Limited edition of 500 copies designed and produced by Northend Creative Print Solutions in Sheffield.
80 pages with 205 full colour images. The typefaces used are Van Dijck and Gill Sans Light, the text stock a slightly off-white smooth coated 190 gsm which enhances the vibrant colours of the paper collection.
- Sentimental souvenirs: Victorian scrap albums from the Sir Harry Page collection
- Gaye Smith. 1989. 0 901276 29 4.
22p. Covers a wide selection of Victorian printed ephemera including
scraps, greeting cards, calligraphy examples of colour printing, bookplates
Also includes some original water-colours and drawings. Reflects social
aspects of Victorian life, especially in relation to women. £4.00
- The Shakespeare Head Press: an exhibition of the books of A H
Bullen & Bernard
- Ian Rogerson. 1988. 0 901276 19 7.
56p. Includes a note by Ruari McLean. 160 entries extensively described,
including many of the finest examples of book production of the twentieth
- Trade catalogues: a hundred years, 1850-1949
- Gaye Smith. 1992. 0 901276 43X.
40p. A descriptive listing of catalogues concerned with the history of
design, style, architecture and consumerism. Cover in full colour,
black and white
illustrations in the text. £4.00
- Victorian Valentines
- Compiled by Laura Seddon. 1996. 0 901276 54 5.
viii, 20p. A guide to the Laura Seddon Collection of Valentine Cards
in Manchester Metropolitan University Library. Cover in full colour.
Black and white
illustrations in the text, plus eight pages in full colour. £5.00
Out of print
- Gwasg Gregynog: Catalogue of an exhibition of Gregynog books from the collection
of Manchester Polytechnic Library
- Jayne Evans, edited by Ian Rogerson. 1990. 0 901276 324.
72 items described, from 1923 to 1989. £4.00
- Richard Doyle illustrator
- Ian Rogerson, with an introduction by Christine Kett. 1992. 0 901276 405.
12p. 42 entries fully described. Cover in full colour, black and white
illustrations in the text.
- Barnett Freedman: painter, draughtsman, lithographer. The prints, book illustrations,
dustwrappers, postage stamp designs, packaging, advertising and correspondence
in the Freedman Archive in the Polytechnic Library
- Ian Rogerson and Sue Hoskins. 1990. 0 901276 37 5.
36p. 150 items, fully described. Cover in full colour, black and white
illustrations in the text.